Boxed pancake mixes are often overlooked or seen as of lesser quality than making them from scratch. In reality, not only is it equally as tasty, but it is versatile and can be a huge time saver in the kitchen. Read on to discover five recipes utilizing boxed pancake mix that showcase its versatility!
1. Vegetable and Sausage Pancake Casserole
- 1 ½ cups Loretta Buttermilk Pancake mix
- 1 1¼ cup of veggies – I used 3/4 cup mushrooms & 1/2 cup diced tri-color peppers
- 1 ½ cup water
- 8 oz breakfast sausage half of a roll – I used hot
- 4 oz shredded cheese – I used sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Saute veggies in a medium pan until soft – add in oil or butter if needed
- Add the breakfast sausage to the same pan and cook throughout
- In a small bowl, combine water and pancake mix until smooth
- Pour the pancake mixture into a greased 8×8 baking dish
- Sprinkle sausage and vegetable mixture on top of the pancake mix
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving, and enjoy!
2. Doughnut Holes
- 3 cups oil
- 1 ½ Loretta Buttermilk Pancake mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oil in a large pot
- Combine pancake mix and milk until dough forms, continuing to knead in extra pancake mix until dough is no longer sticky
- Once the oil is hot, grab small bits of dough and carefully drop them into the oil
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, until brown on the bottom, then flip
- Cook another 2-3 minutes until completely brown
- Remove from heat and place on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath
- Once all dough is used, put cooked doughnuts in a zip-top bag with powdered sugar and shake to coat
3. Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups Loretta Buttermilk Pancake mix
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup salted butter melted; you will need an additional tablespoon of melted butter to grease the pan.
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese *Use thicker, creamier shreds
- Heat oven to 400°
- Grease a jelly roll pan with melted butter.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of pancake mix, ¾ cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and ¾ cup of milk until combined.
- With wet hands, form dough into 10-12 balls. (Dip your hands in a bowl of water to prevent dough from sticking to your hands).
- Place on a greased jelly roll baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, and enjoy warm with additional melted butter if desired.
- 2 cups of Loretta Buttermilk Pancake mix
- 3 ½ Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold, cubed into the size of peas
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ c confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- Heat oven to 400°. Spray an ungreased baking sheet, preferably without sides, with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: pancake mix and sugar. Use a pastry blender or two forks to cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add in the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, and vanilla bean paste. Bring together until a soft dough forms with a fork.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and press into an 8-inch circle.
- Cut the disc into 8 large scones with a sharp knife; imagine you are cutting a pizza for even wedges.
- Once the scones are cut, carefully place wedges onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 1”-2” between them for spreading.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until the scones are lightly golden brown and baked through.
- Once baked, remove the warm scones from the oven and place them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the scones are cooling, make the glaze. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl until a smooth, thick glaze has formed.
- Once the scones have cooled, spoon the glaze onto the top of each one. Let sit for a few minutes to allow the glaze to set up slightly.
- 1 cup Loretta Buttermilk Pancake
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- Any of your favorite pancake mix-ins (blueberries, mini chocolate chips, etc.
- Mix ingredients together and let stand for 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Fill muffin tins or cups with 2 1/2 tbsp of pancake muffin mix.
- Bake the Pancake muffins until cooked through 12-15 minutes.
Get Creative with Bektrom Foods
At Bektrom, we strive to provide quality foods at budget-friendly prices– allowing us to help families save money and get a meal on the table. We offer various baking mixes, noodles, rice, sides, and spices to up your weekly meals. Shop our online store or find a store near you.
If you found this blog helpful, visit our website at bektrom.com/blog to view more recipes, how-tos, and other cooking and baking tips!